JCIA Holdings LLC is a firm based in the United States that buys consumer debt portfolios and provides solutions for credit management. It bought UK-based company Creditlink Account Recovery Solutions Ltd (CARS) in February 2013.
JC International Acquisition LLC, also known as JCIA and Jefferson Capital International, purchases the debts and CARS services those debts in the UK, essentially acting as a debt collection agency.
They’ve contacted me
If you have received a letter or another communication from this debt collector, we recommend that you call us urgently for independent, confidential and free debt advice. We will take the time to understand your circumstances and explore all of your options.
We work hard to stop debt collectors from being able to take any further action. But you need to act fast before the situation escalates!
Are JC International Acquisition LLC legitimate?
Yes, they are a subsidiary of US company JCIA Holdings, LLC. They are a well-known purchaser of debts. They have a registered office at Midpoint, 5th Floor, Alencon Link, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG21 7PP.
Peter Copperwheat, Head of UK, announced that JC International had received authorisation from the Financial Conduct Authority in September 2016. Their website also states that JCIA debt operate in line with the code of conduct set by the Credit Services Association (CSA).
Are CARS legitimate?
JCIA operate in the UK in partnership with Creditlink Account Recovery Solutions Ltd (CARS), which is a legitimate company registered in England and Wales under Company Reg. No. 4296927. CARS is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
Who do JC International Aquisition LLC buy debts from?
The firm purchase debts from a range of companies, including:
- Telecommunication companies
- Credit card companies
- Store finance businesses – ones that offer credit for shopping such as fashion items
Do not let JC International Acquisition or CARS into your home, no matter what they say. Contact us immediately, and we will try to deal with them on your behalf.
Will JC International Acquisition LLC come to my house to collect debts?
JC International Acquisition LLC purchase the debts, and then CARS carry out account recovery services.
They may send field agents to make home visits to discuss your alleged debt. These visits can be a distressing and traumatic experience for you and your family; TV documentaries have reported the effects that they can have on debtors’ mental and physical health.
Phone calls, letters, text messages and visits are some of the common tactics that a collection agency uses to get in touch. If you don’t have a debt management company there to support you with debt advice, it can feel as if everything is against you.
As a long-established independent debt website, we have a vast experience of dealing with creditors such as JC International Acquisition. We understand the methods that they use, and we can stand by your side as we find the best course of action for you.
Will JC International Acquisition LLC chase me if I don’t pay?
Yes. A debt collection agency will typically chase a debtor until they pay in full or agree a repayment plan. If the debtor ignores their communications, the creditor will likely take court action, such as a county court judgment (CCJ).
You are likely to first hear from JC International Acquisition when they purchase your debt. They will typically send you a letter to explain that you are now their client, and to provide information on their pre-action protocol.
This letter should explain the total debt that they believe you owe, along with the details of any charges or penalties which they have added. These types of letter typically give a tight time limit for you to repay in full; usually seven days.
What happens if I can’t pay the money they are chasing me for?
Your debt letter will usually explain the steps the company will take if they do not receive a suitable response from you. The steps typically include:
- Visting your home
- Following the county court process to issue a county court judgement (CCJ)
- The possibility of bankruptcy (usually if the debt is over £750)
If you hear from a debt collection agency such as JC International Acquisition, contact us immediately.
How could a CCJ impact me?
A CCJ is a court order. If you do not pay it in full within 30 days, it will stay on your credit record for six years and disrupt your ability to apply for credit successfully.
How can we help?
At IVA Advice, we pride ourselves on the number of clients we successfully support to regain control of their financial situation.
When you first contact us, you will immediately get attention from our of our skilled and experienced debt professionals. We treat everyone who comes to us with a question or seeking help, as an individual.
We work with numerous debt solution providers, which enables us to find the right solution for you, and sees you repaying the minimum amount possible.
We request feedback from every person that we help. We love reading the messages of thanks we receive and hearing about how we have helped someone to change their life for the better. You can read these reviews for your self in the Reviews section of our website.
What rights do JC International Acquisition have?
The debt collection agency acting for JC International Acquisition can exercise the following rights in regards to your case:
- They can use a secure computer system to keep track of your accounts
- They can send letters addressed to your name to any address they think you may reside at
- They can call you as many times as is ‘reasonable’
- They can visit you at your home, or they have the option to appoint representatives to visit you at home
- If you tell them that they debt they are contacting you about relates to someone else, they can ask you for proof of your identity
- They can add a fee, an interest rate and penalties in accordance with the original agreement that you provided your consent for
- If you do not pay on time, JC International Acquisition can register a default on your credit file. If a default appears on your credit file, it has a very negative effect on your credit rating. Lenders use your credit rating to determine what credit to offer you in the future
- JC International Acquisition can apply for a CCJ, which can impact your credit rating for the next six years
- If your debt is over £5,000, they can issue a statutory demand. This method is often the first step towards petitioning for your bankruptcy and you will need to arrange legal representation.
What rights do I have against JC International Acquisition?
As a citizen of the United Kingdom, you have the following rights when dealing with a debt collection agency:
- Under data protection laws, they can not speak to others, such as members of your family or your neighbours, about your debt without your permission. For example, they can not talk to your mother about your debt bills.
- You should not feel a victim of harassment based on the words they use or the way they contact you. However, you can not use their tactics as an excuse not to pay their debt claims.
- You can request that they only contact you in writing.
- They cannot pretend that they have powers or an authority which they do not possess. For example, the law now prevents them from showing documents that you could mistake for official court documents.
- They can not threaten you, tell lies or use abusive language.
- There are certain items of property that bailiffs are not allowed to collect.
If you are worried about JC International Acquisition LLC, you should contact us immediately by clicking “Get Started for Free” or call us on freephone 0330 1228447. We’ll guide you through your options.
JC International Acquisition Frequently Asked Questions
How can I contact JC International Acquisition LLC?
You can contact JCIA through the following channels:
- Website: https://www.jcia.co.uk/
- Telephone: 0203 437 0310 (opening times are 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30 am to 4.30 pm on Friday)
- Email: email@example.com
- Post: 5th Floor, MidPoint, Alencon Link, Basingstoke, RG21 7PP
How can I contact CARS?
- Phone: 0333 136 3349
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.carsuk.org
- Post: C.A.R.S., PO Box 6520, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG21 4UY
How can I make a complaint about JC International Acquisition LLC?
You can make a complaint through the following channels:
- Phone: 0203 437 0310
- Email address: email@example.com
- Post: 5th Floor, MidPoint, Alencon Link, Basingstoke, RG21 7PP
How can I make a complaint about CARS?
You can submit a complaint by completing the site form on their website at: https://www.carsuk.org/complaint-form/. If you don’t have internet access, you can call them on 0333 136 3349 instead.
What can I do if I’m not happy with how JC International LLC respond to my complaint?
If your complaint relates to an account that comes under the guidance of the Consumer Credit Act, you can refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), based in London:
- Website: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 0800 023 4567 or 0300 123 9123
Otherwise you can refer your complaint to the Credit Services Association:
- Tel: 0191 217 0775
- Website: http://www.csa-uk.com/
How can I pay JC International Aquisition LLC?
They will likely have instructed CARS as their collection agency; please check your debt correspondence to be sure. You can make online card payments to CARS at https://www.paycars.co.uk/.
If you don’t have the money to pay your debt as a lump sum, you might be able to negotiate another payment arrangement such as a payment plan, or a part payment now, with a note to pay the balance at a future date.
Where can I go for support with my debt problem and for debt advice?
The following four organisations provide resources to support individuals facing debt problems and debt collection agencies (DCA) like JC International Acquisitions:
- National Debtline
- Citizens Advice Bureau
- Debt Advice Foundation
Many of the people who reach out to them for support are in desperate situations and have no idea where to start.
With help like this at hand, you can often see that there is a lot you can do to regain control. Take the time to look through the menu on some of these organisations’ sites and check out the links that look most helpful to your situation.
Can I write off my debts with JC International Acquisition LLC and avoid more fees?
It may be possible to write off any debt that you have with JC International Acquisition LLC if you have a total of £5,000 or more of unsecured debt. Your total debt can include any loan account, credit cards, catalogues, payday loans, overdrafts and any other unsecured debt. You can speak to an advisor on our team to see if you qualify for an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA).
While some providers only work with debt balances of £8,000 or more, we have debt solution providers in our network who can provide support with lower amounts.
Is my debt too old to collect?
You may be able to claim that your debt is ‘statute barred’ if there has been no communication about it and you’ve not made payments for the last five years if you live in Scotland, or the previous six years if you live in the rest of the UK. Do your research as it’s essential to work from fact rather than just an opinion.
This point is one of the ways that the Scottish debt collection system differs to other parts of the UK.
If you are not sure if your debt is statute barred it may be wise to seek legal advice to ensure the collectors do not have a legal basis to continue to chase you.
What reputation do JC debt collectors have?
There do not appear to be reviews of the this debt collector on Trustpilot, however there are reports of negative experiences in other customer forums. These include a lady who asked the collectors to prove that this debt was hers. In response, they asked her to complete a questionnaire from Justice.gov. Responses in the forum advise that she should try to settle things with mediation.
What if I don’t have the income, assets or the budget to repay my debt?
There are many reasons why it can feel like there isn’t anything you can do to keep the collectors like JCIA happy. Perhaps none of the payment terms they have offered seem to have your circumstances in mind. In our experience, there is always at least one thing you can try. Anyone experiencing trouble with debt collectors is welcome to contact our team for guidance.
What is MAP?
The Minimal Asset Process (MAP) is a means of becoming debt-free for debtors who live in Scotland and score well against a specific list of criteria. Another option for dealing with debt that is available in Scotland is a trust deed. With so many options available, it’s important to get reliable debt advice from an organisation that you can trust.
What is Jefferson Capital International BPO?
Jefferson Capital is the long-form name for JCIA. The BPO initials stand for BPO Collections.
What is an IVA?
An IVA is a legally binding agreement between a debtor and creditors, allowing the individual to make repayments over a specific period, usually five years.
Do I qualify for an IVA?
Financial Advisor at IVA Advice
I am a CII Advanced Diploma Financial Advisor with over 15 years of experience working with FCA Regulated Finance Companies in the insurance, credit card, loan and debt industry.
I am very familiar with The Civil Enforcement Association and the High Court Enforcement Officers Association and I have written extensively on Financial Services matters.
Latest posts by Jonathan Michaels see all
- How to deal with Little Loans Debt – April 27, 2021
- How to deal with debt from the DWP – April 27, 2021
- Shop Direct Finance debt? Here’s what to do – April 27, 2021