Do you owe money to Newlyn plc?
If you have debts of over £5000, you may be able to write off your debt with an IVA
What is Newlyn plc?
Newlyn plc are a debt collection company, also known as a private enforcement company, with a registered office in Portsmouth, England. They work with Local Authorities across England and Wales to collect their debts. These debts include:
- Council tax
- Parking fines
- Non-domestic rates
Newlyn plc typically become involved after the local authorities have tried to recover the money and they have since secured either a liability order or a warrant of control through the courts. Newlyn bailiffs then provide enforcement services in line with the current regulations.
If you have received a letter or a card from Newlyn enforcement, and you would like support, you can call us immediately for independent, confidential and free debt advice. We will explore all of your options, and may be able to deal with the company for you. The most important thing is to act fast before their bailiff action escalates.
- Do you owe money to Newlyn plc?
- What is Newlyn plc?
- Are Newlyn plc a legitimate company?
- Who do Newlyn plc collect for?
- Do you need help with Newlyn plc?
- What are my rights if Newlyn are chasing me?
- Will Newlyn plc come to my house to collect debts?
- How will Newlyn plc chase me if I don’t pay?
- How can we help?
- What rights do Newlyn plc have?
- What rights do I have against Newlyn plc?
- Newlyn PLC Frequently Asked Questions
- Are Newlyn court bailiffs?
- Do bailiffs ever give up?
- How can I contact Newlyn plc?
- What happens if I ignore my debts with Newlyn plc?
- Can I write off my debts with Newlyn plc?
- Who do Newlyn plc collect for?
- How can I make a complaint about Newlyn plc?
- What if I’m not happy with how Newlyn have dealt with my complaint?
- How can I pay Newlyn plc?
- Are Newlyn plc authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)?
- What regulations does Newlyn plc follow?
- What reputation does Newlyn plc have?
- What is a bailiff?
- Do debt recovery services send warning letters?
- Get debt help with Newlyn plc now!
Are Newlyn plc a legitimate company?
Yes, Newlyn plc are a legitimate Public Limited Company that is registered in England with a company number of 03770985. They incorporated in May 1999 and have a registered office address at: 3 Acorn Business Centre, Northarbour Road, Portsmouth, England, PO6 3TH.
Who do Newlyn plc collect for?
They work with Local Authorities. They usually work to collect parking fines, court fines, council tax arrears, CCJs and family court judgements.
Do you need help with Newlyn plc?
Are you receiving debt collection letters from Newlyn plc?
Are they sending letters to your home address or your place of business?
Do Newlyn plc send you text messages or bombard your home phone and your mobile phone with calls at all different times of day? You may even notice that Newlyn plc call you from several different phone numbers, and some may look like local phone numbers to encourage you to answer.
Read on for more support and information about your rights.
What are my rights if Newlyn are chasing me?
An enforcement agent has the right to visit your home when you do not pay your debts on time, or if you have not responded to communications from the debt collection agency.
UK citizens have the following rights when dealing with a debt collector
- Bailiffs can not push past you to enter your property
- They can not visit your property between 9 pm and 6 am
- The company can not lie to you or claim to have powers that they do not
- They are not allowed to harass you, bully you, use threatening language, or physical violence
- They can not enter your property if only children are present.
Do not let Newlyn plc into your home, no matter how persuasive they are. Contact us straight away, and we will try to deal with them on your behalf.
Will Newlyn plc come to my house to collect debts?
Newlyn plc may have appointed field agents to come to your door and discuss how to repay the debt. These visits can be very distressing not only for the person who is the named debtor, but for their whole family. TV documentaries have highlighted very sad case studies where debtors have experienced mental health issues and even suicide.
Letters, calls, text messages and visits are common tactics which Newlyn plc use to get in touch with the people who owe them money. Without appointing a debt company to represent you, it can be hard to stop them.
As a long-established independent debt website based in London, we have significant experience in dealing with creditors. We know the methods that they use, and we can work with you to get them to stop.
How will Newlyn plc chase me if I don’t pay?
Creditors such as Newlyn plc use computer systems (often known as customer relationship management systems) to keep on top of their debtors. They usually follow a debt process which will make them and their clients the most profit. These methods can feel aggressive and frightening if you are on the receiving end of them.
You may have seen TV documentaries and news articles criticising the heavy-handed nature of debt collectors and bailiffs. Although the Government have come some way to reduce their powers, they still seem to rely on the tactic of intimidation to recover as much money as possible.
By the time Newlyn plc become involved, a local authority will have chased you for an unpaid bill or fine. They will have then secured a liability order or warrant of control, giving Newlyn’s enforcement agents the authorisation to collect your money or enough of your possessions to repay the debt.
If you receive contact from Newlyn plc or a threat of communication, make a phone call to us immediately, and we will aim to deal with them on your behalf, while connecting you with free debt guidance and advice from the comfort of your home.
How can we help?
Our team at IVA Advice have substantial collective experience in dealing with creditors. As one of the largest debt websites in the United Kingdom, we pride ourselves on helping so many people turn their lives around by taking control of their financial situation.
We request feedback from every single person that we help. Some of them have given very detailed feedback on how we have helped them completely turn their lives around in a short space of time. So please check out the details of these reviews and see for yourself!
We deal with a variety of debt solutions and a wide range of debt companies. This point means that you will always find the best debt solution for yourself, without exception. As we do not have ties to any one particular company, we can search for a solution that means you repay the minimum amount possible. We break the process into a set of simple steps.
What rights do Newlyn plc have?
Any company which chases customers for outstanding debts must follow a stringent code of conduct. In our opinion, this still needs to be tightened up. We see so many cases of intimidation amongst the people who come to us for help. For example, field agents are usually male, large in stature, and they often try to command authority with their tone of voice and actions.
But in reality, companies such as Newlyn plc are focussed purely on collecting as much money back in debts as they can. The welfare of the debtors is not at the forefront of their mind.
Newlyn plc can exercise the following rights when chasing you for money:
- Newlyn plc can send letters to addresses where they think that you live, including new addresses which you have not given them.
- Newlyn plc can call you on phone numbers which they believe you can access.
- They may visit you at your home, or appoint representatives to visit you at home.
- Newlyn plc can add charges, interest and penalties to your debt in accordance with the original agreement that you broke, or the powers provided by the court process.
Newlyn plc typically become involved after local authorities have already taken court action. Debt collection agencies that buy portfolios of debt, or who become involved in the collection process at an earlier stage, may exercise the following rights:
- If you do not pay on time, they may register a default on your credit file. The company should tell you about this before it happens. If a default registers on your credit file, it has a very negative effect on your credit rating and your ability to gain credit in the future.
- Debt collection agencies can apply for a county court judgement (CCJ). If you don’t pay a county court judgement within 30 days, it sits on your credit report for six years.
- If your debt is over £5,000, they may decide to issue a statutory demand. This demand is usually the first step in petitioning for your bankruptcy. You would need to appoint a legal representative (usually a solicitor) to represent you in these circumstances.
What rights do I have against Newlyn plc?
As a citizen of the United Kingdom, you have specific rights when dealing with Newlyn plc to protect you and your family’s wellbeing.
- Newlyn plc can not harass you. They contact you as many times as they can justify as being ‘reasonable’. Of course, what constitutes reasonable contact does not have any solid definition. The critical point is that you should not feel that their approach is harassment. Please note, you cannot use any unethical collection practices as a defence to avoid repaying your Newlyn debt.
- You can ask that Newlyn plc only contact you in writing, but if you take this approach, you must open and respond to their letters.
- Newlyn plc cannot speak to your family, friends or neighbours concerning your debt information, as this would be a breach of data protection regulations in the United Kingdom.
- Newlyn plc cannot pretend that they have powers which they do not possess. In the past creditors have used documents which look like official court documentation. A law has now passed to prevent this from happening.
- Newlyn plc cannot act in a way that is threatening, or that is abusive.
- They cannot tell you lies to collect your money, or enter your home.
If you are worried about Newlyn plc, you are welcome to contact us immediately by calling the number on top of this page, or by clicking “Get Started for Free”.
Newlyn PLC Frequently Asked Questions
Are Newlyn court bailiffs?
Newlyn plc describe themselves as a private enforcement agency. They do use enforcement agents, also known as bailiffs, to recover money that debtors owe to their clients, often by visiting your home or a commercial property.
Do bailiffs ever give up?
Sadly no. An enforcement agency has strong incentives to collect as much of your money as possible, so they are not likely to forget about your debt. In fact, they have sophisticated computer systems that enable them to keep track of everyone who owes them money.
However, creditors are often open to working with debtors who instruct an insolvency practitioner to create an individual voluntary arrangement (IVA). You can contact us on freephone 0800 233 5753 to information about IVAs.
How can I contact Newlyn plc?
If you would like to connect with free debt advice and debt help before speaking with Newlyns debt collection, then you can call one of our advisors on freephone 0800 233 5753.
Alternatively, you can contact the company directly through the following channels:
- Newlyn contact number: 01604 633001
- Email address: email@example.com
- Website: https://newlynplc.co.uk/
- By post: 3 Acorn Business Centre, Northarbour Road, Portsmouth, England, PO6 3TH
Please remember your Newlyn Reference Number to hand when contacting the company. You should be able to find this on your debt letter.
What happens if I ignore my debts with Newlyn plc?
By the time they have become involved, your case has already been to court, and Newlyn plc enforcement officers are now enforcing court action. If you ignore their attempts to contact you, then you will likely incur more fees and charges. You can contact us to see if there is another option for you and we’ll work hard to connect you with the best form of guidance and advice for your situation.
Can I write off my debts with Newlyn plc?
It may be possible to write off any debts that you have with this collector if you have a total of £5,000 or more of unsecured debts. This total can include loans, credit cards, catalogues, payday loans, overdrafts and any other unsecured debt. You can contact us by clicking on ‘Get Started For Free’.
Who do Newlyn plc collect for?
They are an enforcement agency that works to collect debts relating to local authorities.
How can I make a complaint about Newlyn plc?
If you have complaints relating to the way that the company has treated you, then you can make a complaint directly on their website at https://newlynplc.co.uk/complaints/.
Making a complaint is unlikely to bring a stop to their collection procedures.
What if I’m not happy with how Newlyn have dealt with my complaint?
In this case, you can raise your complaint with the local authority that your debt relates to. Local authorities may decide to refer your complaint to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.
How can I pay Newlyn plc?
They accept the following types of payments:
- Credit card
- Debit card
- Payment over the phone by calling 0330 088 2647
- Postal order
Their website states that they may agree a ‘payment arrangement’ if you are struggling to afford your debt. This arrangement is essentially a payment plan, in which you will pay your debt with instalments. To qualify for this type of repayment plan, you need to supply the following evidence:
- Three months of bank statement
- Wage slips for the last three months
- Proof of any benefits that you receive
Are Newlyn plc authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)?
At the time of writing the FCA do not list the company as one of the businesses on the Financial Services Register.
What regulations does Newlyn plc follow?
The company operates in line with the code of conduct for The Civil Enforcement Association (CIVEA). They also follow the ‘Taking Control of Goods: National Standards for Enforcement Agents’ guidance that is issued by the Ministry of Justice.
What reputation does Newlyn plc have?
They have a bad score of 1.3 out of five on Trustpilot with a lot of comments alleging that Newlyn plc have used lies and bullying as part of their collection tactics.
What is a bailiff?
Bailiffs are now called enforcement agents. They have legal authorisation to recover debt, usually following a court order, by visiting a private home where the debt relates to consumer debt. Agents may visit a commercial property, where the debt refers to a business, for example, commercial property arrears.
People also refer to these individuals as:
- Civilian enforcement officers
- County court and family court bailiffs
- High court enforcement officers
- Certificated enforcement agents
Do debt recovery services send warning letters?
Yes, you will usually receive a formal notification letter from debt collection agencies before an organisation refers your debt to the courts and enforcement agents. In the case of Newlyn plc, they typically become involved once local authorities have taken your case to court.